Promised dual HIF 44 info

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Promised dual HIF 44 info
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:54:53 EST
All,

I've told a number of folks I'd provide a view of my dual HIF44 SU's and some
info about them.  Well, I am now happy enough with them to deliver on that
promise.  I just came back from several great test runs (between rain days).
I'd say that these are the best SU carbs I've ever had. While they are
probably too much for most A series engines, they seem right for the 1380.
With dual SU's, one needs good throttle shafts, good linkage, and a correct
manifold.  These carbs add the built in float chambers, ball berring dash
pots, and centered mixture needles.

I find that proper linkage synchronous (carbs open equally throughout the
acceleration), followed by equal rich/lean and good float levels are the
prime factors on tight SU's. Idle is equalized using a UniSyn gauge but has
little to do with operational performance.  I check rich/lean by judging the
difference (or lack of) color of the plugs between front or rear holes after
low speed or high speed runs. Chalk white is lean, sooty black is rich,
chocolate brown is goldie locks!

View the new stuff at the bottom of:>

http://ourworld-top.cs.com/JCareyPage/ah.html

John Carey