Re: SUs working! But tuning question (kinda long)

To: <esheffield@prizmail.com>
Subject: Re: SUs working! But tuning question (kinda long)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:11:46 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Eddie said:

>The problem I'm having is that I can't get the idle speed down.

Congratulations on getting it fired up so quickly!

You really need to be sure that the timing is set before trying to do the
carb set up.  If you're using the dwell meter, you should have no trouble
with a timing light.  Assuming the timing and valves are close to correct,
then be sure that your fast idle screws are set so that they are just
touching the choke lever.  (Hard to describe the location, you'll need to
look at a schematic diagram.)  Good luck getting your hands in place to
adjust them.  Also:

Make sure that your chokes aren't sticking.

Make sure that your throttle shafts and choke linkages are ganged together
properly.

Check for a vacuum leak with carb cleaner spray.

Be sure that the carb pistons are floating properly.  If you raise them with
your finger, they should drop smoothly and make a distinctive click when
they fall.

If you had the carburetors apart beforehand, did you make sure that the
throttle plates were installed correctly?  It has a bevel to it, and if it's
backwards, you might not get a good airflow.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite