Re: Periodic water pump maintenance

To: "Spridgeteers" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Periodic water pump maintenance
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:51:07 -0500
There are several "generations" of water pumps that may be on your cars.
Some are greaseable, most are not. Here are some guideline. If the housing
is aluminum (or aluminium) it is not greaseable. If it has a grease fitting
or a plug where you would think a grease fitting should go, remove the
fitting/plug and poke inside. If your "poker" goes in past the threads,
then it is greaseable. Most pumps are made with non-serviceable, "sealed
for life" (hi Frank) bearings. They are shaft and race assembly. Many
pumps, if rebuilt, are fitted with the "upgraded" <g> bearings. The why,
IMHO, is that most people didn't grease their pumps, and if they did, they
over-greased them in many cases (can cause a leak). Don't assume that
because a housing has a fitting or a plug, that it is greaseable. (my spell
checker can't handle greaseable...who has a thesaurus out there?)
         Now, as to maintenance of a modern pump? Nothing, except pay
attention to belt tension.
         HTH   Peter
  -----