motors and parts

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: motors and parts
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:50:04 -0700
   Last year I asked about finding a motor and gearbox and several people
on this list responded. Unfortunately things happened and I could not
follow through, I can now :)

   So...I have a 1934 Singer and my motor is shot, the Singer club in the
UK recommends the 1100cc spridget engine/gearbox since it bolts right in
with no mods to my frame.  A local wrecking yard has a 1100cc motor but it
is missing its distributor and intake/exhaust manifold and front pulley, it
looks complete otherwise.  It has a "Sports Conversion" plate on the back
of the motor that the yard guy says is to fit a Datsun B210 gearbox so I
would need a normal plate for the back of the motor also.  The yard guy
says he thinks he can find a twin carb intake manifold and some carbs in
the piles of parts but he was not sure and there would be no linkage, etc.
anyway.

   How expensive will it be to find the detail parts and how easy ?  I
would prefer to put in electric ignition anyway so the missing distributor
is probably not a problem.  I think the wrecking yard is being fair with
me, he wants $150 for the motor and all I know about it is that it turns
over and the cam looks good (I will rebuild the motor anyway), he will want
$350 for a ribbed gearbox but the gearbox will have a "works or replace"
guarantee, the motor has no guarantee.

   I will also need to find some instruments like speedo and tach in the
near future since my Singer is missing them and I assume they would be
easier to make work, the Singer SOC sells decals to make spridget
instruments look like Singer ones.  I did consider buying a car and
stripping it but my love of cars got the better of me.

   Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  I know nothing of these motors
except that the UK SInger SOC says they are a perfect bolt to my 34 frame
all I need to do is build a bracket for the front mounts and bolt right in,
no new holes, no welding.

   Sorry if you think this is off-topic since its not fully spridget but
its close.

        mike (who is looking forward to driving his Singer by xmas)

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and \/    \/  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ or \/ ~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                  .oooO  Oooo.         __._._.  O (Yahoo!)
Bug Writer er...Programmer    (   )  (   )      ____ ._..  /\,
              mikey@b2systems.com           ::::::::::\............
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car, then
take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/