Re: V8 Bugeye (and transport recommendation)

To: Bill Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: V8 Bugeye (and transport recommendation)
From: Jim Algar <JamesA@hi-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 08:51:21 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Bill Elliott wrote:

> Besides the factory bonnet (a straight but moderately rusty piece) it
> came with a fiberglass front end still in the original gelcoat.  Looks
> sort of like a 240Z/ Jag XKE piece with an oval snout... about a foot
> longer than the stock piece.  Any idea what this is? Anything special?
>

> The engine drives through a Powerglide (or Buick equivalent?) with the
> shifter coming up on the left side of the trans tunnel just in front of
> the driver seat.
>
> I haven't crawled underneath to look at the driveshaft or rear end...
> but at a glance it looks like a stock rear. All of the mods appear to
> have been done in the 60's from the choice of wiring, etc.

To item 1. A  British company called Lenham made a fiberglass body add-on
for Spridgets called the LeMans Coupe. Part of this was a one-piece,
hinged-forward front end called the "Superfast" bonnet. Does look very
240Z-like. I think there was also a 'glass front end by a company called
Speedwell, or some such.

To item 2. If the rear end is indeed stock, my suggestion would be to stay
with the PowerGlide. I think the gentler takeup of an auto tranny would be
kindest on the stock rear end.