One that gtot away (was RE: Car show judging

To: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: One that gtot away (was RE: Car show judging
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:25:56 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
> I love the chase. Nothing could make me happier than
> finding a set of green
> floor mats, or a nine stud windshield date coded
> April '58

I told Just Ed the story last night of the one that
got away, and I have a few minutes now.  Daniel, you
will strangle me.  I was in New Mexico in 1989 living
on per diem, more money than sense, 23 yrs old (less
money now, more sense, funny how that goes).  I went
to look at a 60 Bugeye, wire wheels and a 1275, but
dented rear end.  I passed because of the dent.  The
car was unoriginal (didn't know how much at the time),
it had carpets, disk brakes, etc.   I knew what a
Bugeye was, but little knowledge otherwise at all
about the cars, as you'll see.

My roomate then brings home a Thrifty Nickel
classified paper with a 58 Bugeye in it for $2500.  We
go look at it.  The body is perfect, perfect, perfect.
 948 so clean you could eat off it.  I comment on how
the other one I looked at had a Weber, this one had a
dinky set of brass top H1 SUs (plus 2 spare sets, one
mounted on another complete clean 948).  Plus the
other car had a newer top, and this one you had these
9 buttons to attach.  But the kicker was that the
other car had lush carpeting, and all this one had was
these ribbed floormats everywhere.  I offered $2000,
no counter. I walked.  Within 6 months I learned
enough that I have dreamt of that car weekly for  10
years.  Within a year it was worth probably 8 - 10
times what I offered.

So if anyone is running around Los Alamos / White Rock
New Mexico and sees a white perfect Bugeye, please
don't tell me about it.

Ron