Re: Car show judging

To: <type79@ix.netcom.com>, "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Car show judging
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:21:27 -0500
Cc: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Kinda interesting to me.... this whole judging affair....

and the beauty of Concours judging.... (yes I know and understand the
faults here also)  at least you have a book and in our clubs we understand
that some folks drive these level of cars....

one of the reasons I don't go to local car shows is the inability of folks
to determine what they are looking at... I understand the fellowship that
takes place with the other car owners... but I can't stand for someone who
is clueless to judge my cars....

If a fellow Healey owner see's my cars then they can understand what it is
and what I have done to it over the years...  they can appreciate the work
and or the effort overall.... concours or popular class irregardless.... at
least the fella has a clue what he is seeing.... When the Local Judge asked
what Kind of MG my 100 was I decided then and there that it was totally
insignificant...

For something to have significance it has to be valued by those one seeks
to impress...(could have used another word but that is what it is)  If your
seeking a Gold level concours car and you achieve that goal.... We all know
and understand the difficulty you went through to get there... and of
course we are Justifiably impressed... This whole hobby for me boils down
to the respect of my Peers and personally I don't find it necessary to do
that at a concours level.... I sure respect those who do.. just not my
choice.... The local Car shows for me Personally don't represent my
Peers...

Just my .02  Keith Turk.... 100/4   AN5   AN9 and that damn Bville car that
is all about the respect of your peers... there damn sure ain't no money in
it

----------
<mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: Car show judging
> Date: Monday, September 20, 1999 12:19 PM
>
> "Charles D. Sorkin" wrote:
>
> > Dear List:
> >
> > No LBC content, but I wanted to share an interesting story from a
colleague
> > who was showing his Ferrari this past weekend.  In the battle for best
of
> > show, his 1964 GTL was in competition with a Porsche (don't know the
model)
> > for the fully-judged award.  The cars were of comparable quality in
> > virtually every respect.  No rust, flawless paint, perfect carpets,
> > spotlessly clean engine bay, etc.  In order to break the tie, the judge
> > first ran his finger along the INSIDE of the rim of the spare tire
(which
> > has never been used) and found that it passed a white glove test.  (How
many
> > LBCs have impeccably clean spares?)
> >
> > The next test was the killer and the tie-breaker.  The judge inspected
the
> > sets of original tools that came with the cars.  He examined the set of
> > pliers that came standard with Ferraris and noted that there was a tiny
spot
> > of grime in the joint.  And thus the Porsche (which did not have a set
of
> > pliers in its original equipment) won.
> >
> > Wow.
> >
> > Now that's competition.
> >

> Charles,
>
> In my book, that's not competition, it's BS!
>
> I have always been interested in and most appreciative of originality but
I have