Re: Update

To: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>
Subject: Re: Update
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:16:28 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Adrian,
sorry to tell you but I used to own a '66 Caddy (the chop-top on my web
page) that had been sitting for 7 years.  It had great compression but was
a smoke machine nevertheless.  The compression rings were fine but the oil
rings were stuck in the grooves from old hardened oil.
We had to re-ring it in the end.  That fixed it.
Ulix

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, J. Adrian Barnes wrote:

> I saw evidence that indeed, oil was blowing out the dipstick (but the
> cardboard I put under the car last night revealed multiple leaks this
> morning!).  My compression test showed high compression across all the
> cylinders, and after running, the compressions were all within +-2 pounds
> of each other (right at 120).
>
> My thoughts are that either I have a bad oil ring or that the oil is too
> thin.  I hope that the oil is just too thin.  I need to change it again
> anyway, as I'm sure there's a lot of crud building up in it.  The spark
> plugs were wet (that was before I did my fuel system maintenance) and I
> can't remember if it was oil or gas.  Probably oil, since that's more
> expensive to repair than too much gas.  Some higher force just doesn't
> want me driving a Midget.  ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> adrian
>
> "William M. Gilroy" wrote:
>
> > Reminds me of my free 77 Midget.  My car ran real badly and one
> > of the problems turned out to be the dizzy was really worn.  Frank C.
> > was kind enough to swap my worn dizzy with one that was in much better
> > shape.  Then I got the engine better tuned, timed etc.  What happened
> > next was when the car ran closer to spec. and when I revved it above
> > 2K I had so much blow by that the oil would spurt out of the
> > dipstick.  It would land on the exhaust pipe and burn off in a small
> > cloud.  A compression test revealed that the following number:
> > 1 = 110 PSI, 2 = 40 PSI, 3 = 60 PSI and 4 = 160 PSI.
> >
> > So I replaced the engine with another one.  Still have to rebuild
> > the original engine, but time is very tight.  So a compression test
> > might give you some insight, but if the oil is coming out the dipstick
> > I can think of two things: bad rings or overfilled the oil.
> >
> > The car also takes 20W-50.
> >
> > Later,
> >
> > Bill
> > E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com