RE: Welder Update

To: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@mindspring.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Welder Update
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:54:34 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Personally I would pass on that unit.  The duty cycle is terrible.  My old
40% duty cycle machine was a pain if you were welding something big. (like a
trailer or a frame)  What they mean by duty cycle is can weld for 1.5
minutes, off for 8.5 minutes. (or 1.8 and 8.2)  Buy the biggest machine you
can afford (as far as duty cycle).  About flux core wire:  MIG is metal
inert gas; basically you have a "shielding" gas around your fresh weld to
keep it from oxidizing.  Flux core wire "creates" this gas in the form of
smoke.  The inner core of the wire is a flux agent that burns off to
basically make this shielding gas.  Flux core is smoky and the wire is more
expensive.  I believe you would be happier if you had a "true" MIG machine.
They are much cleaner.  Flux core does have it's uses, like outdoors in the
wind (Wind blows away your shield gas) but it really is not very much
different that "stick" welding (except the flux is on the inside on flux
core wire, the outside on stick/arc welding)  (I personally think flux core
welds don't look as nice either)

I think Chicago electric is the stuff made offshore and that is sold by
harbor freight.  I would personally recommend Lincoln or Miller.  They are a
little more money, but both carry 3yr warranties and pretty much last
forever.

Just my two cents worth.

Bill