Re: brake balancing

To: Craig P Carter <craig@papillon.its.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: brake balancing
From: Steven Fooshee <fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 19:23:34 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
    I'm not sure about this on the '74, but I can't imagine they got much more
technologically advanced than '69. The brake "idle" point, or where it sits
relative to the drum when the brakes are not applied, is manually adjusted with
a small square-head screw inside each drum. Turn the screw until you can't turn
the drum by hand, the back off 1/4 turn. I've always thought this a terribly
unsafe design, as the brake bias changes with wear of the shoes. It
will also result in a "soft" hand brake.
    If they changed this on the "newer" cars, someone please flame^X^X^X^X^X
correct me.

--
‘87 RX-7 TII: APEXiboneztokicodunlopgreddyeibachlowesmagnecorcone
MCMLXIX Sprite: "Motor Toad"