Re: Panhard rod question

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>, Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Panhard rod question
From: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 11:29:44 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>Question:  Who has installed a Winner's Circle bar (or other full length
>bar) and how do you like it?  Any major modifications to the car required?

I just put mine in two weeks ago.  So far, so good.  The overall handling
of the car is much improved although it is tough to tell exactly how much
the panhard bar contributed because I also did all the rear spring bushings
at the same time.
The only problem I had was the routing of the tail pipe because of the
location of the bracket that the rod attaches to.  It goes halfway between
the fuel tank and the left rear spring.  I use a 2" pipe back from the
headers and used to have the muffler sitting just to the left of the fuel
tank, exactly where the bracket goes.  I ended up putting a small oval
Thrush muffler under the car just ahead of the rear axle and then did some
fancy pipe bending to get around the shock mount and fit beside the
bracket.  The muffler shop said they could put the muffler above the axle
and avoid some of the tricky bends but I opted for the straightest, albeit
the lowest, muffler and pipe combo.

The actual install was quite straight forward once the pipe situation was
resolved.

dave
72 Midget MKIII