Engine rebuild

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine rebuild
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 22:45:58 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Spridgeteers,

I am seeking the wisdom of those with engine rebuilding expertise.

I have a 1275 that I examined today for redbuild potential. This was a
running engine when removed, but I never witnessed it's performance.  I'm
under the impression this is not a high milage engine judging by the
condition of the crank journals. The head needs a complete overhaul, but
the bottom end seems to be in decent shape. The crank journals, both main
and rod, seem to be very good shape without grooves or significant
scratches and retains a polished looking surface. The bearing shells (all
standard) are mostly intact with a bare minimum of copper core showing
through, with only a sixteen to an eighth inch wide areas showing through.
The wear on the main journal is on the front edge of the front and center
and none on the rear. The rod bearing shells show a little wear right in
the center where the oil passage is located.. The cylinder walls do have a
very slight ridge at the top of each wall. After decarbonizing the pistons,
numbers 3 and 4 seem perfect, but pistons 1 and 2 have an orange peel-like
surface and what look like some minor dings on the left and right sides of
the outer edges. I'm guessing that cylinders one and two were run a bit
lean and perhaps were run too hot. Engine number is 12GG-DAH-12111. It has
the thin flange.

I also have a thick flange 1275 block that has been tanked and
magna-fluxed. It has new cylinder liners, though I'm not sure if they're
standard bore or not.

My questions are:

* Is it possible to polish the journals and install a new set of bearing
shells? * Is this something that I can do myself or does this require a
machine shop to accomplish? I remember someone saying it could be done with
#600 paper.

* Should the cylinders be professionally honed or bored, or can I get by
with breaking the glaze with a hone, and installing a new set of rings?

* Are the 1 and 2 pistons salvageable or is a new set in order?

I would have the block hot tanked before doing anything.

Any suggestions or recommendations? TIA.

Gerard

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com