Re: Silicon Brake Fluid

To: sbull@preferred.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silicon Brake Fluid
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:30:59 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/18/99 10:29:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sbull@preferred.com writes:

<< The original A-H
 workshop manual calls for "Lockheed Super Heavy Break Fluid" or other
 fluid conforming to S.A.E 70 R.3 - What is the modern equal? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I had the interesting experience of starting this thread on the MGs list last
year.  It went on for months.  I did gain a lot of info about fluids though,
and came to some conclusions.  The fluid you should use depends on the use you
have in mind for your car.

I intend to use Castrol LMA, which is a DOT 4 brake fluid.  This is the best
all-around fluid for cars that will be street driven.  It has a high temp
rating, and LMA stands for Low Moisture Absorption.  (Actually, Ed Kaler
convinced me in his usual, friendly way!)

If you are racing the car, use the best racing brake fluid you can find, and
change it frequently.  Usually after each race, but twice a year minimum.

If you are building a trailer queen, you might want to consider silicone (DOT
5) fluid.  It will not instantly destroy paint if you drip some.  It will
destroy the seals in the in-line brake light switch, if your car is so
equipped.  You will have to rebuild it a few times each year.  As far as the
rest of what Apple said about silicone, that is based on early formulations of
silicone brake fluid.  It is a much better product now and does not affect
seals (except the ones in those in-line brake light switches).

Silicone fluid does not absorb water, but that means that water can pool at
the low points in the brake lines, causing rust..and it can also turn to
steam, which makes stopping a lot of fun.  You must change silicone fluid
annually to prevent damage.

Okay, watch out for label info.  There is a DOT 5.1 fluid available from
someone that is NOT silicone.  It is a different formulation of DOT 4.

I don't think anyone who knows about LBCs would consider using standard DOT 3
fluid.  Castrol LMA isn't much more expensive, it's available in all Pep Boys
stores, and it has a higher temp rating.

Check out the Tr***ph web site at: http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-
fluids.html  for a description of brake fluids.

One last note, if you drive a modern car with ABS, DO NOT use silicone brake
fluid in it.  The silicone fluids have no lubricating properties required for
the hydraulic pump.

Now for my usual brake fluid thread disclaimer:  All this is in my humble
opinion.  It is my 2 cents worth.  Your mileage may vary.  I have no financial
interest.  Work on your brakes at your own risk. If not capable, hire a
professional mechanic.  Batteries not included.  Close cover before striking.
Do not use in the shower.  Do not eat.  Smoking is harmful to pregnant women.
Do not operate machinery while taking this advice.  No user serviceable parts
inside.  Loving you has made me bananas.  May contain nuts.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget (no brakes...yet)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (ABS)