Re: More Front Suspension

To: Larry and Sandi Miller <millerls@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: More Front Suspension
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:45:14 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> 5. The difference is in where I place the jack.  With the wheels on, you
can
> only get the jack so close to the king pin. With the wheels off, I
placed
> the jack facing the side of the car directly under the king pin.

Well, this explains the WTF-part.  We all know it is easier to compress
the spring with a long lever arm.  The same effect comes into play when
trying to reinstall the springs by lifting the A-arm with a jack.  Unless
you position the jack at the extreme end of the arm, you will lift the
whole car before the spring is compressed enough.

Why the car sits so high and is so hard to push down, I bet on friction in
the (poly, right?) bushings.

                                                           '67 Sprite