hubs and such

To: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: hubs and such
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:25:50 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This is a lengthy description, but feel it's necessary to explain the
problem:

As some of you know, I am trying to rebuild the braking system on this
body shell I have.  I have no experience with the shell...I don't know
what the suspension was like because the car was never drivable at any
time that I have known it, and the suspension was from yet another car.
Anyway, the front two hubs/rotors were different-ish, like one had been
replaced/updated at some point, but for all I know they could have come
from different cars too.  One disc had a round mating plate to the hub,
the other has sort of a square shape, like my new replacements.  The
round one came off with a lot of rubber hammer action, then came apart
(separating the hub from the disc) just fine.  Popped the hub in the new
disc, slid it back on, tightened the bolts and it's fine.  The other
slid right off the axle/shaft but had to really be rubber hammered to
get the hub out of the disc.  There was also a lot more grease
everywhere.  Put the pieces together and slid it back on.  While
rotating, it made sort of a buzzing/rubbing sound, so I took it off to
look at it.  Slid it back on and it started rotating in a wobbly
fashion.  Took it off again.  Put it back on and it started rotating
fine, but with the sound again.  I though it might be okay still, so I
put the washer back on and tightened the big nut.  As it tightened, the
wheel quit turning freely, and finally got hard to turn.  The wheel
rotated freely as I remember before removal.

Any ideas what could be wrong?  I appreciate any help you might have to
offer, and plenty big thanks in advance!

adrian
'75 Midget pieces all over the house

--
J. Adrian Barnes