Removing a ZS carburator from a 77 Midget

To: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Removing a ZS carburator from a 77 Midget
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:04:46 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I spent what must of been over an hour removing the ZS
carburetor from my 77 midget.  The problem was lack of clearance
between the side of the wrench and the carburetor itself.  This
was really a problem on the lower nut.  My solution was to
remove all of the throttle linkages.  Later I was talking
with an MG mechanic and he suggested that I take a 1/2"
wrench and grind the sides down making it thinner.  I
did that for the re-install and it worked like a champ.
Such a simple solution that I could not even see it.  Hope
this helps some other poor soul in the same spot.  I also
found it much easier to tighten the bottom carburetor nut from
below that car, even with the catalytic converter in
the way, but that is just me.
--
William M. Gilroy
77 Midget (still DOA, but coming to life soon if I appease the gods)

E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com
Telephone: 732-957-4775
Fax:       732-957-4775