Re: 1275 Head Dilemma

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Subject: Re: 1275 Head Dilemma
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 21:06:32 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mark Endicott wrote:

> Hello Spridgeteers:
>
> I have been quiet for a while everything has been good with the
> Midget.  It had started leaking a little water outside the head so I
> scrounged up and new Head Gasket set and some new studs.  Today I
> pulled the head to see what was there.  The car has only 27000 miles
> on it from new but 26 years of I don't know what.  The head looks
> fine, the valves have no recession and I had 140 Lbs of compression
> before I started. I have cleaned up the carbon in the chambers and
> checked the water and oil passages and all looks good and clean.  I
> had intended to take it to a shop and get the head tanked and the
> valves ground but now I don't know. I am thinking of just putting it
> back together and driving it some more.  Am I missing something here
> or should there be more problems than I am seeing?  What do you
> think?  Put it back together or take it to the machine shop since it's
> off anyway?
>
> TIA
> --
> Mark
> 70 MG Midget
> Nashville, TN

Mark

I have a Sprite that oozes a bit of collant from the head every now and
then.
I don't know why and the head was checked and redone. Maybe this happens
after a hard high rpm drive? I don't loose much coolant but I can see
the water stains on the side of the block. I have replaced the head
gasket with a copper one and it still leaks every now and then. (never
when I'm under the bonnet)
I chock it up to "It's British and it's supposed to leak!"
It is annoying but I can not find out what's causing it so I live with
it.

One other thing to check if it leaks out of the front of the engine is
the waterpump bypass hose.
If it's too long, the head will not seat completely. (been there)
I never use those colapsable (taiwan) bypass hoses. I prefer heavy
regular heater hose. I once made the hose a bit long and had a head
gasket leak up front.

Where is the leak?
Since you have it off, it would be wise to have it checked for flat and
cracks. Cheap insurance!

Frank
--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs