Midget Rear Suspension Question

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Midget Rear Suspension Question
From: Jeff Zurschmeide <jzurschm@etec.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 11:02:07 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hey Folks,

I'm working on a pet project, and I have a small challenge before me in
the way
of a semi-elliptic rear suspension on my 1970 MG Midget - maybe one of
y'all
has an answer for me - I'd really like to use these nifty centerlock
minilite-style
wheels on my Midget - they're 14" rims from an MGB sporting 185/60-14
tires.

Trouble is, they rub on the springs. The Winner's Circle used to carry
offset
springs to handle wider tires, but they dropped them a while ago due to
declining
interest as coil-over suspensions became more popular in racing. I'd
rather not
go coil-over if I can avoid it. (Hadn't planned on *that* much
development in the
car.)

So one thought is to use a disc wheel axle housing and the wire wheel
hubs and axles.
The disc wheel housing is wider - but I don't know if it's enough wider,
or if the reduced
insertion of the axle splines will give me heartburn down the road.
Another thought is that
someone on this list has or knows of a pair of these offset 1/2 elliptic
springs laying
around gathering dust somewhere that I could lay hands on for a
reasonable price.

Any ideas or wisdom?

Thanks!

Jeff Zurschmeide