Re: Cam Timing

To: mayfam@sprynet.com, Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cam Timing
From: GuyWeller@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:09:23 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daryl, Thanks for the reply.

Having spent most of the day (it has been raining !) fixing up this engine I
now feel that at least I understand what this timing thing is all about.
First point about the camshaft endfloat was so obvious I hate to admit it !
I was pushing it in and out (sorry about that phrase) before I put the
chainwheel on, so there was nothing to hold the camshaft in position. The
triangular plate fits between the chainwheel and the first cam bearing so it
stops the shaft coming out too far and the chainwheel flange stops it going
back in too far.  Really simple, but too complex for me !!!
I have set the valves with the offset key and they are now timed in at 108
degreees + / - 2.  I reckon that is good enough for my purposes, if not quite
spot on.  Cam manufacturer recommends 106 degrees.  The only way I am going to
get closer is to buy a vernier adjustable chainwheel which I can't afford just
now.  Something for the future perhaps.

Having got that set up right I spent the rest of the afternoon finishing off
the engine, then gave it a final coat of the right coloured green engine
paint.  Looks really smart !  I got out the photos I took 8 years back when I
first collected the little car  - it was a total wreck, a real mess. Can't
think why I bought one in such terrible condition when there are some not so
bad ones around.  Actually bought is the wrong word, I was given it.  I think
I should have been paid to take it away !

I am about ready to put the engine back in.  Just about everything else is
fitted, checked and working.  After all this time I find that I am finding
extra jobs just to put off the day when I go to start it up.  Very odd but I
guess that I am apprehensive about it after all the time spent !!

Only big jobs left are to retrim the seats, fit carpets and fit hood.

Once it is going I am going to start on the 1500.  Needs a respray.

Guy