Suspension Progress: Front and Rear

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Suspension Progress: Front and Rear
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 23:23:11 -0400
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Fellow listers,

Much done today so I thought a progress report in order.  On the front end:
 ran the car about 10 miles today and heard no chirp.  Maybe it's just a
brake pad rubbing until it's set in as someone suggested or maybe I just
didn't catch it over the road noise today.  It is a rather quiet chirp.  :)

Rear suspension:

I'm really pleased how this is going so far.  Following advice from the
list given way back when when I first thought I'd be able to work on this
(pre-front end work) I have now gotten both rear half-elliptical springs
off the car and have gotten all the old bushings out except the driver's
side front bushing.  Just didn't have time before I had to stop work for
the day.  Things went pretty smoothly except for one stubborn bolt, but
that finally came clean too.  I had dosed with Liquid Wrench liberally for
days back when I thought I'd be doing the rear end.  Seems to have helped.

One problem thanks to some previous owner.  One of the front brackets for
the rear springs seems to have a bodge.  I guess the nut that the pin
screws into must have broken off at some point so there is a messy weld
there.  It looks structurally sound so I wouldn't mind so much, but it
looks like the pin might have gotten welded into the nut at the same time.
Ack!  Couldn't see how I could get it off without just cutting the nut off
with an angle grinder.  I'll look again tomorrow to see if I can save the
situation, but....

...does anyone have a spare front bracket for the rear springs I could
purchase?  It's likely I won't be able to salvage this one.  I really want
to get down to Tom's River, NJ for the Positive Earth Club's show this
Saturday so if no one has one available, I'll have to order one from a
parts place soon.

Thanks for all the support I've had on my suspension work.  I wouldn't have
ever gotten through the front end without the list and the rear end
wouldn't have gone so smoothly.

Thanks,
Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget