Re: Cylinder Head Capacity

To: GuyWeller@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cylinder Head Capacity
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 17:18:06 -0500
Cc: Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
GuyWeller@aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone actually tried to measure the combustion chamber capacity ?
> In David Vizard's book he sets out a way of mewasuring cylinder head capacity
> by fillling with light oil from a burette (pipette or calibrated hyperdermic
> ?)
> I tried this but found it impossible to get a sufficiently accurate figure
> because of  the meniscus problem + the need to have the cylinder head
> absolutetly level.  Should I keep trying
>
> Has anyone a better method of measuring the cylinder head capacity ?
>
> I wondered about filling it with fine sand, and then transferring that to a
> measuring beaker of water and measuring the displaced water ?

I was watching "Hot Rod TV" (or another TNN car show) last weekend and
watched them do just what Guy is asking.  They placed the head at
about a 45 degree angle, chambers up, so that the chambers were tilted
just enough that the fluid would fill from the bottom to the top. They
used a calibrated tube filled with a 50/50 antifreeze mix.  They
started filling the chamber from the bottom to the top, when the
uppermost portion of the chamber was full they read the amount of
fluid missing from the tube from the scale.  It looked like it worked
but there is "no tellin" how many takes there were.

--
Mark
70 MG Midget