Line Boring?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Line Boring?
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 10:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Now it is my turn to ask engine rebuilding questions. I took my block to
the shop last night.  This is a LBC garage that farms out to a machinist.
They recommended line boring the engine.  His reasoning was that this
would help to get the rear oil slinger seal to actually seal.
Is this true?

Also, I don't really understand line boring.  Is significant material
removed so that bearings with a bigger OD are required?  Or is a drill run
through that doesn't remove any material unless the mains don't line up?

Furthermore I can't decide if I need new head studs and rod bolts.
Any advice?
I have three choices:
a) use old hardware
b) use new stock hardware
c) use ARP hardware

Of course c) would be safest but would also cost over $200.  I feel that
if I go for the best solution in every aspect I'll end up with a
$2500 motor, so I need to save some money somewhere.  So, is the stock
hardware marginal and do I NEED better hardware?

This will be a 1380cc, 9.5:1, VP7 cam (not too radical), torque motor.
Max rpm probably 6500rpm.

Thanks!
                                                           '67 Sprite