Re: Rubber Diaphram (WAS: Re: HELP: strange brake behavior)

To: "Spridgets Group" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Rubber Diaphram (WAS: Re: HELP: strange brake behavior)
From: "Geoffrey P. Muttart" <gmuttart@mtdc.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:34:11 -0300
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks Peter.

I, too, have used the Saran Wrap (actually a cheap knock-off) trick while
the car is stored - I found that my clutch would need to be bled if the car
sat for extended periods and this has postponed the inevitable.  However,
the couple of times that I drove it with the Saran still in place it ended
up with a hole in it - perhaps I should try a higher quality plastic wrap?
How about a rubber ballon?  I'm sure someone will suggest that a condom
would be appropriate introduction to this diaphram question  ;-).  (I seem
to recall making a barometer or something many years ago in Scouts that used
a balloon and it acted like a diaphram and had lots of 'give' to it.)

What's the List feel about whether a diaphram of some sort would really
benefit the brake/clutch system?  I hesistate to mess with such an important
aspect of safety myself - anyone "been there, done that"???

Thanks for your input,
Geoff
gmuttart@mtdc.ns.ca