Re: Bugeye Bonnet Installation

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Bugeye Bonnet Installation
From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 21:45:06 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Bob,
My experience is that it works best to install the hinges to the body first.
I will assume that you did not remove the telescopic stays from the bonnet.
If you did, re-attach them now.  Then place a piece of cloth (like an old
bed spread) along the sealing surface behind the hinges.  This is a safety
net feature so you don't scratch either the body at the scuttle or the back
edge of the bonnet. Finally, have TWO other people lift the bonnet into
place while you re-install the bonnet hinge bolts.  The bolts are of
different length so pay attention here.  This can be done with two people
and a prop (i.e., a 2x4) but it is not nearly as safe.  I have taken one OFF
with only two people and we were quite pleased with ourselves - but I
wouldn't recommend it to others!

Jeff Church
AN5L11627