Carburetor: rebuild or replace?

To: spridgets spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Carburetor: rebuild or replace?
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 10:49:34 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have a 77 Midget with a Zenith Stromberb carburetor with an automatic
choke.  This midget has been sitting for about 5 years.  The car will
run if a squirt a bit of gas into the carburetor throat, but then it dies.
This is no suprise give the amount of gunk in the ZS.  I am new to
MG's and I have several questions.  I have heard that the ZS is not
a very good carburetor so I am wondering what would be the best choice
for the car, should I replace the ZS or should I rebuild the ZS.  As
I see it my options are:

        1.  Rebuild the ZS.
        2.  Replace the ZS with a weber (or another type of carburetor).

If I choose to replace the ZS with a weber (or another type of carburetor)
should I go with a automatic or manual choke?  Are there any vacuum issue
that I need to be aware of?  What is the correct/best weber to use?  I am
looking for a close to stock replacement, not a high performance carburetor.
Also who would be a good source of either a rebuild kit, or a new carburetor.
Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks.
--
William M. Gilroy
Lucent Technologies