Re: spridget clutches

To: usbacons@ihug.co.nz
Subject: Re: spridget clutches
From: Vllas@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 13:48:36 EDT
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
paul,
i'll do my best to explain the "theory" of the long rod. first lets assume the
following:
(and these are all made up figures):

1. master total discpacment capacity 5 c.c.
2. slave requir. to move total travel  to stop  4 c.c.

example:

 you step on clutch and master displaces 4 c.c. and moves slave to max. (to
stop).
 over years throw out bearing wears out bringing slave piston closer to stop.
distance slave piston moves is shorter, therefore, no disengament of clutch.
longer rod installed and throw now increases to take advantage of additional 1
c.c. capacity of master. additional throw is enough to operate clutch.

those are the basics, there are many variables. contact me to discuss further.

alex