Bugeye engine mods

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bugeye engine mods
From: Stella67@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 10:17:28 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Having restored a number  of big Healeys over the years I am now undertaking
two bugeyes (one for each daughter which they have named Bud and Wizer).
Anyway, since the 950 engine isn't much bigger then my lawn mower engine I am
wondering what steps I can take to improve the over all preformance without
replacing it with a larger engine. I got four engines and transmissions when I
bought the two cars so I'd prefer to keep the engines if possible.

 I have several questions I would appreciate getting some advice on -

1. How much can and or should be done in modifying the head.  Does this head
benefit from being ported and polished, cced, oversize valves, etc?

2.  How much can be done with the block - I'll balance and blue print it but
wonder about piston sizes, cams, lightening the fly wheel, etc?  At what point
to I increase performance but increase risk of failure as well?

3.  Are there any good headers and exhaust systems that should be considered?

4.  Without massive changes, is there anything that can and should be done
with the carbs - I have about six sets of what appears to be the original
carbs but is their a better alternative.

I know this is a lot of information and each could have a book written on it
but I would appreaciate any advice old hands with these cars can provide.  I
would like to keep the cars as orginal as possible while improving the
performance and drivability.  We drive our cars and these will be driven.

thanks  John
BJ8, BT7, AN5