Re: clutch acting up

To: "Dustin Howarth" <howarth@pulsenet.com>, "spridget list" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: clutch acting up
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 22:56:42 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Dustin!   My clutch works fine, but sometimes I get a little grind
going into 1st or reverse also.  Putting it into 2nd briefly before going
to 1st will usually prevent the grind, so I have gotten use to doing that
as second nature on all my cars that don't have a synchro 1st gear.  My
Midget gearbox is a rebuilt unit with about 15,000 miles on it, and it will
sometimes grind going into reverse.  The only way I have found to prevent
that for sure is to put it into reverse with the engine not running.

Let's assume you do have a problem with the clutch, though.  It's likely
that the system needs to be bled if "engaging and disengaging" (i.e.,
pumping the pedal of) the clutch will make it work better.  Have you
checked you fluid level?  You may have a slight leak.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"Truth is precious.  Use it sparingly" -- Mark Twain