Re: Moss Bugeye Panels

To: "Dave Formstone" <dformsto@compusmart.ab.ca>, <d0m6803@acs.tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: Moss Bugeye Panels
From: "carolien coulter" <carolien@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:46:28 -0700
Cc: "'Sprite list'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Formstone <dformsto@compusmart.ab.ca>
To: 'd0m6803@acs.tamu.edu' <d0m6803@acs.tamu.edu>
Cc: 'Sprite list' <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, June 25, 1998 8:08 PM

>Hi Dave,
I ended up shipping a one piece floor pan from Moss England. I was as much
to ship ($90) as the pan cost($90),but I figured that wasn't any more than
it would cost me to have the 2 pieces welded together (labor is expensive
and I don't know how to weld.).It fit very well, but had a few extra holes
in it ( not real big) that we just welded a piece of metal into.Carol '59
Bugeye.

David, the original Bugeye floor panel is a one piece unit and it has no
holes in the spring box area. The panels commonly available today are 2
piece with holes in spring box area. I believe they are for the later
models. Also the panels do not cover a full 1/2 of the floor they are about
4" shy so you will need to leave a piece 6" to 8" in the center of the old
floor or make a filler piece.
>Hope this is what you are looking for.
>One additional point to remove spot welds I drilled them out with a 1/8"
bit followed by 5/16" bit. Sometimes a small piece of weld was left but a
tap with a hammer and chisel was usually enough to break it free. Then after
the new panels are fitted, fill up the holes with weld making sure you
penetrate the floor panel. Also clean all paint off the areas to be welded.