Brakes - Status and Thanks

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brakes - Status and Thanks
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 16:03:36 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Again, a huge thank you to all who have weighed in on my "brakes are
locked" questions.

I had a chance to look at my calipers today (not disassembled yet) and it
does look like there is some small bit of corrosion.  Will probably look
bigger once I take them apart.  This is definitely one of my major problems
with the brakes.  While looking for the problem, I noticed that there were
tons of deposits in my brake fluid resevoir.  Also not good.

Here's what I intend on doing:

1)  Syphon out the resevoir and wipe it clean of all deposits.
2)  Bleed out the brakes completely to purge the lines of the old fluid
(how old?).
3)  Replace the flex hoses.
4)  Disassemble the calipers, clean the pistons etc. up and put back
together with a rebuild kit.
5)  Put new fluid (Castrol GTLMA) in and bleed out the brakes profusely
until the fluid looks real clean.  I don't really care how much fluid this
takes because if it doesn't look real clean, I'm going to have to put in
all new lines (I'll let a pro do that one).

Sound good?

Any advice on what to watch out for when doing the caliper rebuild or
bleeding is appreciated.  I already have list advice on the bleeding, but
if there is anything else I am always appreciative of the hints.

And most importantly, I just want to say thank you again.  It's so great to
be able to come here and find these things out.  Especially for a new
mechanic like myself.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget