Re: Spigot Bushing Replacement

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, bobfrato@bright.net
Subject: Re: Spigot Bushing Replacement
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:04:38 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
If its worn at all it will allow the trans input shaft to flop around
and wear out the front cover on the trans causing an oil leak from the
gear box. The bushing is cheap enough so you might as well get one it's
cheap insurance. you might also want to get the bushing that goes around
the bolt through the clutch fork these are normally pretty worn as well
and cause slop in the clutch action. then you might as well get a new
cluch lever boot as these are normally ripped. and the list goes on
with, pushrod if the hole is elongated, clevis pin if it is worn. I
replaced all these parts when I did mine and was pleasantly suprised at
the responsiveness and feel of the clutch.

If you are taking the flywheel off to have it resurfaced on a 948 there
are 2 locking tabs that hold the 4 flywheel to crank bolts from coming
loose these are also pretty cheap so go ahead and get a couple in case
yours break when you bend them back.

While I had mine out I sent the flywheel to the machine shop and had it
lightened this improved my acceleration and willingness of the motor to
rev with no ill effects on idle or torque it cost me $150 to lighten,
resurface and balance the flywheel.

I had some surface cracks in my flywheel so they had to take a bit off
the clutch area to remove them, so that when I reinstalled everything in
the car the pushrod was not long enough to activate the clutch and I had
to lengthen it by about .25 inches. I have the specs that I used for
lightening my flywheel if you are interested.
Peter.