Re: Plastic MC Reservoir

To: "Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Plastic MC Reservoir
From: Valentine <valntine@postoffice.ptd.net>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:42:10 -0400
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Richard D. Arnold wrote:

> All:
>
> Miss Molly's plastic master cylinder reservoir ('79 Midget 1500) seems to
> be 'weeping' fluid through the plastic at the point on the front of the
> reservoir near the casting line.
>
> Suggestions?  Comments?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rich

Rich,

I have had this happen to me in some of my plastic processing tanks, it
always turns out to be a VERY small crack in the seam where the plastic
is bonded.

Sometimes I "weld" the seams with the BLUE RTV silicone, (good temp. fix
and can be done by simply wiping off the residue and smearing some on).
If you do this, clean the outside of the plastic with alcohol before
applying the RTV. and the you MUST use the blue stuff - it has acidic
acid in it which etches itself into the plastic slightly so it sticks...

For a more lasting fix I use epoxy, this usually lasts longer than the
plastic, but the surface must be free of all fluid when you apply it.  I
use the fast cureing stuff.

Of course the plastic resivoir is available but you will have to rebleed
the system and that is a goodjob for a rainy day.

Kevin Valentine