Re: '79 Midget Steering Column Alignment

To: richard.arnold@juno.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: '79 Midget Steering Column Alignment
From: GuyWeller@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:08:19 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Rich, there was some discussion on this topic a little while back, this is
what I posted about it then :

>I've replaced the rack on my ''78 Midget and on my ''70 Sprite with no
problems.  Both needed the packing pieces fitting
IMHO the steering rod must be at exactly 90 degrees to the axis of the
steering rack, else you will put stress onto the pinion bearing or something.
What I do is to fit the rack mounting brackets (they are slightly different on
my two cars) with the bolts just backed off a bit to allow movement. No shims
at this stage. Fit the rack to the clamps, again leave these loose so the rack
can rotate in the clamps a bit. Fit steering shaft and tighten the under-dash
mounting bracket and pinion pinch bolt.

This should bring the rack into line at 90 degrees to the steering shaft, both
by it rotating in the clamps, and possibly also by the clamps aligning to
leave a gap at one side between the clamp and the front chassis rail. Helps to
rotate the steering wheel lock to lock and to bounce the suspension a bit at
this stage to settle everything down.
Try your various shims / packing pieces to take up this gap. Fit appropriate
shims and bolt everything up.

This is how I do the job - no guarantees its right but it seems logical to me
and I've had no steering problem or undue wear. Still, I would be interested
if anyone can confirm (or otherwise)  this method.<<

Of course, if you havn't disturbed the rack shims, then life is easier, just
slacken the two clmps that hold the steering rack to the mounting brackets so
that it can rotate slightly in the brackets. Fit the steering column and
tighten the bracket at the top first.  Turn the steering from side to side and
bounce the front suspension a bit to settle everything down, and then finally
retighten the rack clamps.

Guy
Lake District, UK