'76 Midget - Brake Lights / tail lights

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '76 Midget - Brake Lights / tail lights
From: cfiddes@direct.ca
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:44:52 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <cfiddes@direct.ca>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi folks.
I just about got rear-ended when I came to a sudden stop a few nights
ago - apparently my brake lights stopped working.  I'm afraid I've
started into an electrical death spiral and could use some advice.

With the light switch  OFF, stepping on the brake pedal results in a dull
glow from the tail lights.
With the lights ON, tail lights were operating  and stepping on the
brake pedal gave no change to the rear bulbs.

Fuses were all O.K.  Bulbs all O.K.

Next night - lost a right rear tail light and left front parking
light.  Fuse blown; replaced fuse - blew immediately when I threw the
light switch. I suspect I can trace the problem with the tail light given that
the
fuse is blowing; I expect to find a short somewhere.

Anyone with suggestions on the brake lights?  Any chance these things
are related?

FWIW, I recently replaced the old stereo with a mdoern unit - but it's on
the "ignition-required" circuit.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris.
'76 Midget.