Re: Bonnet/Air Filter Clearance

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Bonnet/Air Filter Clearance
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 20:26:20 -0400
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Philip Hubbard wrote:

> More importantly I have a problem with closing my bonnet.  When I had the
> header on there was no problem.  Now with the stock exhaust manifold I have
> real trouble closing the bonnet and sometimes I arrive home to see that it
> has popped loose.  This is quite obviously unacceptable.  I need advice.  I
> have the stock big black air filter covers with the tubes coming off them.
> What is the best solution:
>
> 1. Buy flat air cleaners like the K&N Chrome filters in the VB catalog or
> the cheaper "Flat Air Cleaners"?  Is it legal to make this switch?  The
> catalog has all these warnings about changing original emissions equipment.
>  Air filters included?!  Would anyone even know the difference?
>
> 2.  Lower the engine somehow?  Different motor mounts?  Seems an overkill
> solution to me.
>
> 3.  Beat the hood out a bit?  Seems way too drastic.
>
> 4. Just bash in the current air filters until the bonnet closes?  :)
>
> I like option one, but any advice from the gurus?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Philip
>
> Burgundy 1974 Midget

 First, were you in Bayville, NJ today? I saw a burgundy chrome bumper midget.
Your bonnet may just need it's latch adjusted.
With a 9/16 wrench and a screw driver, open the bonnet and loosen the lock nut
up inside on the center latch/spring gizmo. Unscrew the peg a turn or two, check
the fit, and tighten the luck nut.

hope this helps

--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs