Smoke, Rough Idle - Progress Report

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Smoke, Rough Idle - Progress Report
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 14:24:29 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Listers,

Since many have been kind enough to offer advice, I'd like to provide a
progress report.  This is very positive and also shows my ignorance
continues.  :)

Situation recap:

Just installed new exhaust from manifold to tail pipe and fiddled with
carbs to get float bowl leak stopped on my 1974 Midget.

Problems were:

Lots of smoke
ROUGH idle with popping coming out of carbs intermittently
Would not run without full choke and revving engine

Apparent solutions/answers:

Smoke - new exhaust pipes still had plastic tape and paper stickers
attached...smoke coming from burn off.  <blushing>  Found this out when I
could actually work in the daylight and got down on the ground to look
everything over.

Popping, low power - forgot to reconnect a pipe.  I'm not sure what this
is.  It's the metal tube connecting the two carbs and then connecting to a
rubber hose which connects to a round cylinder like canister located on the
passenger's side near the windshield.  I'd appreciate an education on what
this is...vacuum line?  fuel evaporative system?

Reconnecting that and adjusting the idle screws has the car idling pretty
smoothly at about 100--1100 rpm.  I'm going to drive just a bit and then
look into further adjustments.

All this brings up a request for recommendations.  I need a good book that
just points out the parts of a car'e engine and what they are for.  Doesn't
have to be a book specifically on the Midget though that would be great.
But there's just a lot of general knowledge that I imagine a lot of people
have that I don't.  The Hayne's manual is great once I know which part I am
fiddling with, but I need a basic book as well.

Anyway, it's 80 degrees, the sun is out, the car is at least up for a test
drive and I'm out of here!

Philip

1974 MG Midget (Burgundy)