Leaky Carb Problem Over - New Ones Begin

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Leaky Carb Problem Over - New Ones Begin
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 19:53:43 -0400
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ok, thanks all for the help in the ongoing carb leak problem.  I guess I
just needed to hear, "Get back and try again" enough times.  Sure was
frustrating but I ordered new rubber seals, nuts and washers and after many
more attempts....success!  No more leaky carb.  And the exhaust is in.

Here's the problem...potentially devestating.

Testing out the reinstalled carbs I started seeing smoke and smelling that
smell.  Idiot that I am, in working with the carbs a lot of the dashpot oil
leaked out and I was running without much oil.  Please, please someone tell
me that the approximately 20 seconds I ran the car like that hasn't sealed
my doom.  If it has, well, it has.  I'll have to bite the bullet.  But I
hope to all the Gods I haven't completely ruined the carbs.

I'm off to get a funnel to top the dashpots off and see what I can see.  I
need the funnel as I'm certainly enough of a clutz to get oil all over and
then I'll be smelling and seeing the smoke of that burn off instead of any
permanent damage to the carbs.

Anything else I have completely forgotten that is going to screw up another
component of my auto?

Geez.

Philip

1974 MG Midget (Burgundy)