Horn Problem

To: Spridgeteers <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Horn Problem
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:54:05 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Well, things are looking up.  The gas leak, oil leak, and thermo plug are
now fixed on my 1500 Midget, thanks to all your help.

Time to turn my attention to the horn.  It works fine, but also works when
you don't want it to work.  I thought I had fixed it, went for a drive,
came back and parked, then the horn starts blaring away.  The poor wife
runs out the house thinking I'm having a heart attack or something.  God
knows what the neighbours are thinking - by the time I had yanked off the
center horn push, yanked out the "horn push contact" (to no avail),  jumped
out, yanked the hood, yanked purple connector to fuse box, well, I think
everybody with a one mile radius was wide awake and wondering what the H***
was going on..

I think I understand the electrical aspectt - I need to find something in
the steering column  that is grounding the horn. My question:  is it normal
to be able to push the steering wheel in and out about a 1/4" ?

Also, I've been dying to ask this - how come cars need two horns?  This car
has only one and is plenty loud (Ask my neighbours!)

TIA,   Adrian