Re: 74 midget

To: Valentine <valntine@postoffice.ptd.net>
Subject: Re: 74 midget
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 21:34:58 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Valentine wrote:

> Frank and List,
>
> I picked up the 74 today.  I trailored it home from Maryland to PA, (not
> knowing the condition of the drive train).
>
> In the few short miles I have put on it - I found a few problems.
>
> 1.  When driving at speed - if I back off the gas to decelerate the
> front end wants to go slightly to the right.  If I push in the clutch it
> corrects itself.  This is not severe but I would like to know where to
> start looking.

Check the front end bushings, trunion and A arm

> 2. If I push the clutch in at speed (40 to 60 MPH) there is a slight
> vibration that seems to be coming from the front section of the tunnel.
> This is definately a drive train vibration again not sever.  My guess is
> universals (or maybe clutch)?  It is accompanied by a muted clunking
> sound if I back off the gas and then accelerate with the clutch out.

Either U joints or a clutch disc installed without a pilot tool making it
slightly off center.It could also be a bum pilot bushing.
Drive it till it breaks, then you will know for sure. (I do)

> Something very interesting - The first three or four left hand turns I
> made were accompanied by the car shutting down completely!!!  After some
> investigation I found that the dizzy was so loose that it was coming out
> of the engine.  I don't mean the cap - THE ENTIRE DIZZY!!!!  After
> replacing it in the engine and reseting the timing, it runs just
> fine.....

This is nothing new (for me anyway)When they quit at speed with a pop, bang,
boom, it's time to put the dizzy back in the hole!
A new dizzy clamp keeps them in place for another 30 + years.

--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs