Carb leak question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carb leak question
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 09:58:44 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Listers,

I hope my ignorance of the proper names and functions of certain parts
doesn't make this question unintelligible, but here goes.

As those of you who have followed my recent Britfest posts know, I am in
the process of fixing my exhaust system from engine back.  I got a nice
looking manifold from Fisher Jones and started the install last night.

As usual, taking all the bits and hoses off the car went quite smartly.  Of
course, installing the manifold and other bits up to the carbs was quite
easy as well.  Here comes the problem.

When fiddling with the carbs (I hope I got those choke and throttle
linkages right) by mistake I detached the fuel line under the forward carb.
 You know, the one that is covered by the coiled metal housing?  Well, I
tryed to put it back on and thought I had it....but then I noticed a leak.
Futzed around and finally decided to try and tighten that little nut right
at the carb base.  Seems to have reduced or stopped the leak (I have to
test further today).  Is this the correct way to do this?  Is there some
little trick I need to do to be sure this is safely put back together.
List help is appreciated as I don't want to have a fire consume my baby!

Thanks,
Philip
1974 MG Midget (Burgundy)