Shocks/Suspension questions

To: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Shocks/Suspension questions
From: "Charles M. Love" <cmlove@hiwaay.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:46:34 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello everyone;

I am new to this list and to the Sprite/Midget world.  I have recently
purchased a
74 Midget, running and a 73 parts pile.

I have just replaced the leaf springs and general cleaning of the rear end.  I
was
checking the shocks (original) and wondering how do you know if they are good?
This car sat in a field for about 17 years.  The shocks seem to be operating
smoothly, unlike some other rusted parts.  They are hard to move, but move
smoothly.  The rubber in the links and everywhere else is mostly shot.

The other question I have is how much do you tighten the bolts which hold the
leaf
springs to the rear axle?  I have them pretty tight, but the rubber bushings
which
are above and below the springs look to be compressed and pressed out of shape.
Is this correct?  Are they too tight?

Thanks,

Monty