[Spits] Been lurking too long, need sympathy

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spits] Been lurking too long, need sympathy
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:47:57 -0400
X_cmae_category: , , a=uyrlx3uQwXPHfOcCn9XxUQ==:117 a=uyrlx3uQwXPHfOcCn9XxUQ==:17 a=kj9zAlcOel0A:10 a=OA2lqS22AAAA:8 a=_6GpL_ENAAAA:8 a=RFpYfkNcjRFw1wUTD9wA:9 a=047cQLXTEfCjWPUe_kQW:22 a=HPItUfg3-W5T9FFxMdBG:22
Okay, I admit I've been lurking for a decade.  At least it seems that way.  My
GT6 has been driven a bit but the Spitfire hasn't been registered for a few
months and hasn't been inspected in two years.  And that brings me to why I'm
wriiting now.

The poor Spitfire sat for so long the gas tank went dry.  O'h, I've fired it up
oncte or twicte and even put a trickle charger on the battery occasionally.
But now it refuses to start.  So I spent a few hours today, hours I rarely have
available these days, taking the carburator (or carburettor or carburatter or
however you wish it spelt) off the manifold, checking the fool pump, etc.  It
fires with starting fluif but isn't getting any gasoline.  (And I've had a few
beers now so forgive the typing please.)  I had poured a gallon or so of gas
into the tank and verified that the fool pump is pushing it though.  The float
bowl may be getting gas now, but maybe not,  It takes foreverrrrrr to get the
carb off because of the inacccccessible nuts on those mounting nuts.  The only
problem I can think of is that the float valve is stuck closed even though the
floats and the shaft thingy it presses against seem okay.  I should have just
pulled the valve out while I had the carb off.  Hindsight is a winderful thong.

I wonder how long it will be before I can find the time to try all this again.

A wayward member,
Jim

--
Jim Muller