Re: [Spits] Spitfires Digest, Vol 7, Issue 59

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Spitfires Digest, Vol 7, Issue 59
From: "Joe Guinan" <spitfirejoe@email.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 22:10:54 -0400
It's possible that we are dealing with excessive "blowby" in the engine -
combustion gasses getting by worn rings and pressurizing the crankcase.

When I put a DGV on my 1980 Spit, it blew a lot of oil out the dipstick onto
the header. I drilled a hole into the outer side of the manifold plenum below
the carb - there is a spot there that looks like it was designed for it. I
tapped this hole and put a hose barb into it. Then I ran a hose from the valve
cover vent tube to this hose bar. I put a "T" fitting in the hose and ran
another hose up to the charcoal cannisters to vent my fuel tank. Problem
solved, but it does introduce oily fumes to the intake, and gums up the valves
a bit. A "separator" cannister plumbed into the main hose helps get some of the
oily fumes out, and then has to be drained periodically.

After rebuilding the engine, I installed twin side draft Dell'Orto DHLA carbs
on the car (like the Weber DCOE). I have NO idea if the venting solution I used
before is still needed, but I have put two smaller hose barbs into the manifold
anyway. There are perfect spots in the two outer manifold branches for these
holes. The rest of the plumbing is basically the same. I have photos of these
modifications. If you need to see them, let me know.

The trick of replacing the fuel pump with an electric one, using a blanking
plate to cover the hole in the block, and drilling that plate to accept another
hose barb stikes me as a good one. This gives you two separate places to suck
the excess pressure out of the block. I've kept the original style mechanical
fuel pump so far, but have an electric one to install sometime.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE
spitfirejoe@email.com
NASS Member #31
(Join the North American Spitfire Sqaudron at
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/nass/)
spitfirejoe@email.com

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 15:01:29 -0500
> From: "Dave" <dave@ranteer.com>
> To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: [Spits] removing oil pan
>
> well, I pulled the pan, cleaned it, painted it, put in a new gasket, and
> reinstalled. oil is indeed coming out the dip stick tube. all that work
> may have been for nought!
>
> can I relieve that oil pressure somwhere/somehow?
>
> I replaced the filter and added 5 qts of oil - was that too much?

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE
NASS Member #31
spitfirejoe@email.com