Re: [Spits] [TR] Spring Compressors

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] [TR] Spring Compressors
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 09:24:46 -0700
Sam Clark wrote:
> Good morning all.  What kind of spring compressor do y'all use when
> disassembling Spitfire/GT6 front springs?

I put an old TR4 wire wheel adapter in my bench vise, flange up.  Insert
the bottom end of the shock into it.  Then I put an old tr4 brake drum
over the top of the shock.  Using some threaded rod I then slowly  tighten
the nuts so that the spring is evenly compressed.  When the spring is no
longer pressing against the top of the shock I undo the top nuts on the
shock, then slowly loosen the nuts on the threaded rods.  You have to make
sure you use rods long enough to allow the spring to fully extend before
you remove the nuts on the rods.

mjb.

Spitfires@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html