Re: [Spits] Head stud and nuts

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Head stud and nuts
From: "Gary Tash" <030845@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 00:10:07 -0700
Just to follow-up on the breaking studs:
I used the known(?) good studs and new nuts, very carefully and in small
increments tightened the nuts, in sequence of course.  All came to torque.
The engine runs well. Re-torqued after bringing to temp on several short
runs.  Plan to do so again at 300 to 500 miles.

I have another problem, well one that is more critical than the others.
Last night, after a short 17 mile drive, just as I was about to shut the
engine down, the low beam headlights "flared" white bright and went out.
Later that night driving home, I was forced to use the high beam.  The
dimmer switch does not hold the high beams on unless I hold it forward,
which I did.  Almost home the high beams went out.  I did not notice a
flare.

Checking tonight, I find power at the harness connection where it splits to
the R&L lamps, for both high and low beams.

Lights burn out.  But, both simultaneously? And later the other beam, both
simultaneously?  I can replace the lamps but it seems like there is
something going on besides old lamps?

Gary

Spitfires@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html