Re: [Spits] GT6 - Spitfire Overdrive questions

To: elliottr@rmi.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] GT6 - Spitfire Overdrive questions
From: "v6spitfireguy@cox.net" <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 08:17:54 -0400
Roger,
As previously mentioned, the Spitfire tranny will not bolt up the the GT6.
The input shaft is different, as well as the bell housing, and as far as I
know no late model single rail could be made to fit without extensive mods
to the GT6 bell housing among other things.  To fit a J type, which is what
I did on my 70 GT6 you would need the adapter (which is kind of rare since
it is only used on three rail Spits Heralds and Vitesse, the output or main
shaft which is also pretty rare, Overdrive mount and bracket, and overdrive
drive shaft (or you can shorten yours).  You also need to cut the tunnel in
the floor to clear the overdrive unit, and add the cover extension (or make
your own) to cover the section that you just removed. Also, the wiring
would also have to be added for the switch - not really a straight-forward
conversion, but it can be done

Barry Schwartz