Re: [Spits] Spitfire 1500 differential

To: Spitfire list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Spitfire 1500 differential
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:58:31 -0700 (PDT)
Me too!  Me too!

I did the unpleasant, tedious saw-through-the-bolt thing a
number of years ago.  You can buy a little plastic handle that clamps on to
one end of the hacksaw blade.  That makes it a bit easier.  Also, be sure to
use the highest quality blades, for example a bi-metal type.

And make sure to
slather anti-seize all over the new bolt!

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

--- On Sun,

<jimmuller@rcn.com>
"Spitfire list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
> Date: Sunday, October 18, 2009,
4:19 PM
> On 18 Oct 2009 at 12:04, Joe Curry
> wrote:
>
> > You might have to
resort to cutting through the bolt
> using a
> > saws-all at the edges of both
the ears.

> Joe is right.  First time I removed my Spitfire diff
> about 20
years
> ago I had the same problem.  I cut the bolt out with a
> hacksaw
blade
> held by a piece of cloth.  It, umm, wasn't the
> pleasantest or
fastest