Re: [Spits] Transmission installation

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Transmission installation
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:18:31 -0400 (EDT)
Jim Cullen asked:

> Or, is the fact that the bellhousing is flush to the top
> of the engine good enough to tighten down the surrounding
> bolts/nuts?

NOOOO!!!!!

The large block-bellhousing gap at the bottom is telling you that they are not
angled properly: the tranny input shaft is hitting the clutch from too high an
angle, i.e. the crank and input shaft are forming a shallow V.  Most likely
this is preventing it from entering the pilot bushing, but it could also just
be preventing the spines from mating.  I don't know how you have everything
supported but the action you must take one way or another is to lower the back
of the tranny so that it and the crank are co-axial.  A related problem is that
if you have the block supported too high the various protrusions on the tranny
may hit the firewall and frustrate you.

There is no substitute for patience.  Also useful are a good helper, 2ft long
sections of 2x4 for leverage, an adequate supply of swear words, and a good ale
waiting for motivation but not so good as to make you rush the job.

But regardless of the tools, do not force it.

Jim Muller
'80 Spitfire
'70 GT6+
plenty of pull-the-tranny experience