Re: [Spits] Small tire changer -

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, v6spitfireguy@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Small tire changer -
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 05:24:32 -0700 (PDT)
I had one of those HF "machines", and it worked reasonably well for changing
the tires on my wire and regular Spitfire wheels.  Given how frequently I got
flats from defective inner tubes, it was a good investment.

But once I tried
using it on a modern 16-inch alloy wheel, and it was totally unsuitable for
that.

Later I switched to stock steel wheels, and I haven't had to change a
tire in 5 years or so.  So during a de-cluttering, I reluctantly decided to
get rid of it.

BTW, you really need to have it bolted to the floor.  I
embedded threaded inserts in my garage floor, so I could bolt it in place and
remove it when not in use.

Doug

--- On Tue, 8/18/09, v6spitfireguy@cox.net

<v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
spitfires@autox.team.net
> Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Date: Tuesday, August
18, 2009, 3:05 PM
> Its getting harder and harder to find
> a shop that will
change tires on
> wire wheels, especially since I have to have tubes

installed.  they are all
> afraid of pinching the tube, or damaging the wire
rim from
> the force of the
> machine, or they just don't want to deal with
anything
> smaller than 24
> inches...so, I was considering using one of
Harbor Freights
> small tire
> changers. The tire in question is a 165/70 13 -
Has anyone
> used one of
> these manual tire changing tools and if so, how
well did it
> work?  I am not
> too concerned with balancing the tire in
question because I
> will be using
> it for the spare anyway.  I was also
thinking that