Re: [Spits] Tire size

To: <JHMDDS@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Tire size
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:55:37 -0700
The manufacturers are slowly (or mayby not so slowly) discontinuing tire
selections from the 13" range of tires.  The reason is that there are very
few compact cars that are coming out today that use that size.  The ones
that are still being produced are econo-boxes and they typically use skinny
cheap tires and those are not all that suitable for our needs.

So what to do? You pretty much have to search the internet for choices to
see what is available in performance.  At last chack,I found the choices
extremely limited.  I need some more rear tires on my Mk1 Spit and wil be
going through the same thing in the next few months.

On my other car, I installed Panasport 15: wheels (6" wide) and find that
the selection increases dramatically as you go up in diameter.  I am using
Kumho Ecsta Supra 205-50R15 on them.  It is a good aggressive tread design
with a very soft compound and is performance tested up to something like 150
mph.

On the 13" wheels, I use 175-70R13 Perilli's but the tires I have are no
longer being made so I will have to search fora good alternative.

Good Luck and let me know what you find.

Joe